Monday, January 28, 2008

My Weekend Triumph


Ever have a job that you are just chomping at the bit to do, but every time you start it something else comes up? (By something else, I mean hubby and kids and running of the house). Well, I finally was able to get to organizing my storage closet this weekend.

Off to the side is my before picture. Now, before you judge me to be a totally hopeless housekeeper, let me defend myself.

I love lists, I love organization. While I am by no means a perfect housekeeper, I do strive to do my best in that area. To the extent that I really don't care for unexpected visitors- they never stop by when my house is gleaming and sparkling. Or if they do stop by on a freshly cleaned day, I suddenly notice there is something sticking out from under the couch. But back to the subject.

When we moved to our present home, I thought it would be a great idea to use the heavy duty moving boxes we had bought for the move to store things in my new large (atleast to me) storage closet.

What I didn't count on was the little pest that invaded us last fall. The field behind our house is home to many field mice. And one managed to nibble a hole throught the storage wall. Who would have known such a little thing could cause so much damage?

And we tried to catch that little rodent with every trap available- humane and not. But that little rodent was just too smart.

One day my son walked up to me and said "Mom, there's a mouse sleeping under your treadmill." Sure enough. Problem solved- and no mice were harmed for the writing of this post.

So I pulled everything out of the closet, temporarily depositing it in my bedroom. The bedroom with the Kingsize bed, dresser, several side tables, 2 file cabinets, an office desk, treadmill...you get the general idea. It was just a little bit crowded.

I went through every one of those boxes, hoping I would not catch some disease from the by product it left behind. Sadly I had to throw some items away.

So here is my after picture. I picked up the lovely sterilite containers at Kmart on sale for $3.99 (okay, so maybe they are a dull gray- but what a deal). I also put an organizer on the closet door, front and back.

Every bone ached by Saturday night, but what a lovely sight!

7 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Wow girl, way to go. And that price is dirt cheap? Are they still on sale?

MyKidsMom said...

I think I'm going to grab a few more tonight if they are, I'll let you know tommorrow.

kerri @ gladoil said...

You guys got A LOT more snow than we did! It looks so nice and fluffy!

Isn't it a good feeling when you get something done that has been nagging at you?

Marva said...

That is so great. I could use some of that over here. It seems as I cannot keep up lately. Awesome job!

Nikki said...

Wow! That's all I can say! Wow!!

Unknown said...

Great job. We had a few friends this past fall as well. UGHHH. How did the dessert turn out?

Stylin said...

Thats a lot of hard work!!!
My laundry room looks like that(1st picture!)