Saturday, March 01, 2008

Favorite Recipes

Since my head isn't clear enough to do a normal post (due to my continued clogged-up cranium) I thought I would post some favorite recipes instead. I am always looking for good deals on meat for my family of 5, which sometimes means purchasing those not-so-tender round steak cuts. But with this recipe, it's both tender and delicious!

YUMMY SLOW COOKER ROUND STEAK
3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 onion, chopped
6 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
2 pounds boneless round steak
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup water

Place the potatoes, onion, and carrots in slow cooker. Cut steak into six pieces, then place the meat on top of vegetables. In a mixing bowl, combine the soup mix, soup, and water; pour over beef.
Cover, and cook on Low for approx. 7-8 hours.

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
1/2 cup of butter
2 1/2 Tbsp of Sugar
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup of buttermilk
1/4 cup club soda
1 tsp salt
5 cups Bisquick biscuit mix

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine all the ingredients. Knead the dough by hand until smooth.

After flouring hands, pat the dough flat to 3/4 inch thickness on wax paper, and punch out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased baking pan for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 18.

This recipe originated from "Top Secret Recipes" and is a copy-cat of KFC's biscuits. Fast food restaurants have very little appeal for me (I think it's all the grease) but I have to admit that I love their biscuits!

I will end by wishing everyone a speedy recovery from all the sickness going around. Just think- only 19 more days until the first day of Spring!

7 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

KFC uses Bisquick? Im shocked. I can always detect the prepackaged taste of Bisquick in stuff but Ive never tasted it in theirs. Now Im going to have to try this recipe.

MyKidsMom said...

Mrs.D, I said it was a copy-cat recipe. Which means this author made a recipe that he thought tastes the closest to theirs, and with ingredients he thought his readers would use. I doubt KFC uses Biscuit. Lol I use my own homemade biscuit mix- it tastes better and is cheaper!

Marva said...

Thanks for thre recipes. I love trying new things! I am going to admit a hidden secret soon about biscuits on my blog. Look for it!

MyKidsMom said...

Marva, I'll be watching for it!

minimalistmommy said...

I needed a good biscuit recipe and I thing I may try this one. I hope you are feeling better soon. Oh and by the way I tagged you.

Unknown said...

Sorry the above comment was from this line. Too many passwords

Mrs. Darling said...

Hey you should be back by now! Did you take pics for the old blog? Cant wait to hear all about it! Was there still snow? Hurry up. Tell us! :)