Monday, September 15, 2008

Weekend activities

I thought I would share a few pictures from our family activities this weekend. My husband will be starting his workshop classes again in about a week, and the extra hours will mean less time together as a family. So we decided to make Saturday a family fun day, and we managed to pack it quite full.

The Northwest is know for being very environmentally conscious. In keeping with this, the Columbia slough was holding their Aquifer Adventure. It was a free activity, so we thought we should give it a try. They had different stations set up where the kids could learn about water conservation, as well as quite a few water-themed activities. We took a canoe ride, enjoyed a liquid aquifer concoction that the kids could make themselves, and took home some earth-friendly cleaning supplies. At the end of our visit, they gave each of the kids a cute T-shirt to take home, and some heavy-duty water bottles for hubby and I. I was impressed with the enthusiasm of the workers, most of whom were volunteers. It was a great combination of learning and fun. And it was free (did I mention that already?).


As a child growing up in Northern Indiana, one of my favorite places to visit was the old Fort in Fort Wayne, IN. I remember how it completely fascinated me. So when I heard that Fort Vancouver (WA) was holding it's annual Campfire and Candlelight Tour, I definitely wanted to take the kids there. It was almost an hours drive from where we live, but completely worth it. I was so impressed with the people doing the reenactments at the fort, they seemed to really enjoy answering my kids many questions. And their knowledge of the histories and times that they were reenacting was incredible. We all enjoyed it so much that we plan to make many more visits there in the future.

I have to say that every time I visit an early American exhibit, I am amazed at the difficult way of life our ancestors endured. It's so easy to take for granted the many luxuries that we have today: running water, inside bathrooms, and electricity (to name a few).

I'm afraid I did a poor job of detailing our visit to the Fort, but I have a pinched nerve in my neck presently, and I have a hard time thinking at times in that condition. So I guess I'll be making a trip to my friendly neighborhood chiropractor within the next few days;)

Have a great day~

6 comments:

Angela said...

That sounds like fun! I loved doing this stuff as a kid.

Sorry about your neck. Hope you feel better soon!

Mrs. Darling said...

Glad you had fun! Fort Vancouver is definitely a favorite for people around here.

Anonymous said...

There are so many fun, educational and free things for kids if you look. These sort of outings are so much better for the family than say amusement parks. They are learning about history and we are saving money.. Win Win. Hope the neck feels better soon, that hurts I know.

MyKidsMom said...

Thank you for the sympathy ladies (neck-wise) though I truly wasn't looking for any. My neck issues are chronic, so I've grown accustomed to dealing with them. But I HATE not being able to think clearly, it can be a bit frustrating.

Missy said...

I know exactly how you feel with your neck issues. I too have my neck out on a regular basis. I LOVE my chiro. You feel like your in a fog and can't think clearly. Hate it, my kids tend to take an advantage of me when I am like that. lol

Kaye said...

What a great way to take advantage of some family time. It's memories like these that the kids will carry with them forever. Fun!