Monday, May 18, 2009

The Long Weekend

Though my title may suggest otherwise, my weekend has been long in the very best of ways. My girlfriend from out-of-town arrived a few days ago, and I've been non-stop on the go ever since. While I'm sad to see her leave this morning, I have to admit that I'm pretty much out of gas (metaphorically speaking).

My husband has kept the home fires burning, and I noticed when I dragged myself in the door during the wee hours of this morning that the dishes were done, and my children didn't show any signs of marked damage... which is comforting considering the dueling sword fight taking place on my way out the door last night,lol. Hubby is a reasonably good cook, in spite of his penchant for thinking you can mix any variety of food substances together in a dish; after all, it all gets mixed up after you eat it anyway. My boys can follow this reasoning for the most part, but the Princess doesn't totally swallow it (no pun intended) , taking after her mother's way of thinking I suppose.

Last night several of us gathered at a local hang-out (meaning they stay open all-night and it's a respectable place for us aging moms to be seen at that time of night) and talked over days long past. For us that meant nearly 20 years ago when we all met at a Christian college. As we passed around pictures of our kids, it was hard to believe we were ever that young, or had such crazy adventures. We were all poor (as in broke) college kids, working multiple jobs on the side to get by (and barely at that).

What amazed me is how many stories I forgot... should I be concerned about that? I'm hoping my memory is just temporarily short-term because I'm so busy raising kids and homeschooling... Please say it's so. Just humor me.

Anyway, we laughed until we cried. And talked about (talked, not gossiped:) people we went to school with. Which was humorous in some cases, and sobering in others. A few have passed away, or had children or spouses that have. In some cases I heard the last 15 years of someones life summed up in five minutes. Not in a bad way, just because that's probably how someone would sum up my own life from a birds-eye view after so many years.

Other than a few close friends I've made in the last few years, most of my best friends were made in four years of college. I don't see them often, but when we get together... my, how time can rewind. I can once again see us all as young girls... which takes some rewinding considering the fact that we all have our fair share of extra pounds and graying hair,lol. I can see those starry-eyed young girls hoping and praying for the future we couldn't foresee at that time.

It's times like this that make me think aging might not be as bad as I used to think it would be. There is something about looking back and realizing that, though life undoubtedly has been more challenging than I thought (or knew) it could be, it's rewards are sweeter than I ever dreamed.

That, indeed, while every choice may not have been perfect, I made some very good choices on the really important things. Choices that I suspect 20 years from now will have me looking back with few regrets, and even more sweet memories.

So while this week will be challenging due to the fact that I've gotten very little sleep, I can't help feeling refreshed from the time I've spent remembering the past, and realizing just how blessed I've been.

Not the least of which has been through the special gift of a dear friend.

7 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Glad you had fun!

Nikki said...

I'm glad you had fun, too! It's always nice to spend some time with other women withOUT children hanging around. As mothers, I don't think we get much of that at all, at least my friends and I don't.

Kaye said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL time. I have caught up with people recently thanks to things like blogs and facebook, but nothing is like a good face-to-face and I don't get enough of those myself! Enjoy your week of remembering the old days and loving the present. =)

Angela said...

What a sweet post! I'm glad you had a good weekend! I love getting together with my friends from high school -- none of whom I see on a regular basis any more. It's always fun to remember the silly things that we used to do and the things we used to stress about. Little did we know how good we had it -- free of major responsibilities and all that.

Angela said...

p.s. I tagged you for something on my blog!

Frasypoo said...

So glad you had fun,I miss stuff like that!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yeah, Facebook does that, too. :] I'm reading through your posts and seeing I've made a new friend.