Thursday, May 08, 2008

Another Favorite Recipe- DAISY Biscuits

Here's a fun and yummy recipe I found a couple years ago in an old kid's recipe book.

DAISY BISCUITS
1/4 Cup butter or margarine
1 3 oz package cream cheese
2 Cups all purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
3/4 Cup of Milk
Sugar- optional

Mix softened butter and cream cheese together. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the mixes together, using a pastry blender to blend until the mixture resembles small peas.

Add milk, stirring just til the dry ingredients are wet. Do not over-stir. Sprinkle 3-4 Tbsp flour on the surface to be used to roll out your dough. Shape the dough into a ball, coating it with flour. Roll out to a 12 x 7 rectangle (it should be slightly less than 1/2 inch thick). Cut out with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.

To make the daisy design, use kitchen scissors to make 5 small cuts around the edge of each biscuit. Do not cut to the center. Wet top of biscuit with a little bit of water, and sprinkle on sugar. Press thumb into the middle of each biscuit to make an indentation. Spoon 1/2 tsp of your favorite jelly into the center of each biscuit. Bake 10 or 12 minutes ( or until golden) at 450 degrees. *In my experience, homemade jelly has not worked too well in this recipe, it tends to run badly when baking.

You can add sugar to this recipe if you like your biscuits a little sweet. I usually butter the petals after taking them from the oven. Enjoy!


8 comments:

Marva said...

These are too cute and look yummy!! Thanks for the recipe! Blessings and have a wonderful day!

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, look how sweet those are? Couldn't you just see them at a little girl's tea party?
btw, thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you there again soon!

Brandi said...

Wow, those are beautiful! I'll have to have my girls make those for a home ec project. I like mom2fur's idea about the tea party. My girls would go crazy over the idea of pulling out their tea sets to party with these biscuits.

Hmm...I'll have to think of a similar version that is boy friendly for my two boys. Wheels, balls . . .

MyKidsMom said...

Mom2fur: I hadn't thought yet of using these for my daughter's ladybug birthday party, but now I think I shall- thanks!

Brandi: These ARE a great baking project for kids, so easy to make. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a biscuit recipe with no shortening. I hate to use that stuff. I always say it can sit on the counter for 10 years and look the same....would you really want to eat it?

Nikki said...

How pretty; I bet they're tasty, too. I wish Sarah Beth were old enough for a tea party. It won't be long, though, will it? They grow up too fast.

Nikki said...

P.S. What happened with the spider? You neglected to answer my last comment about it, and I intend to "bug" you until you do!

MyKidsMom said...

Niki: I absolutely HATE shortening, I can just picture it clogging up my veins;) I use butter to replace it whenever I can.

Nikki: The answer to your questian is added as an update to the last post...so stop "bugging" me;) LOL