Thursday, December 04, 2008

I could kick myself

Okay, so I know that I just posted a short while ago, but I need to let off a little steam.

Have you ever had your thrifty ways come back to bite you? I hate it when that happens.

There are truly very few material things I wish for in life. But I came across something about a week ago that reminded me so much of the happiness of my youth, I simply longed to buy it. You know, nostalgia will get you every time.

So I went on Ebay and, sure enough, they had it (they have everything). Anyway, hubby had told me that he made a little money on the side and to buy it as my Christmas gift from him.

But could I? No!

I sat there squabbling with myself that I had just missed a buy-it-now price at $23 instead of the $27 that I could get it for now. So while I went back and forth...

The price on this item has raised to $60-$80!!! It's a limited edition item, so (obviously) there are only so many available. The big sellers have realized this, so up goes the price.

And to think that I could have had it for $27 :(

Errrrr... Sometimes I wish I could lose the thrifty mentality for just a few moments.

And no I'm not going to say what it is. If there's still one floating out there somewhere for a reasonable price (and I've checked all over the web), I don't want anyone ahead of me in line.

Yes, I'm that paranoid. *sigh*

12 comments:

Nikki said...

I am so very sorry! I hate it when that happens! I also hate when I buy something cheap (yes, cheap, not inexpensive) because the name brand is too expensive. Then the cheap thing turns out to be CHEAP, and I have to replace it anyway with the brand. Ugh!

Angela said...

I'm sorry you missed out. I am so indecisive, I have things like that happen to me all the time -- missed opportunities, that is. And I'm with Nikki on the "cheap" thing. I have recently decided to buy only expensive paper towels from now on. I know that the Target brand is way cheaper, but you really get what you pay for. Use one to clean up a mess vs. 3 or 4? The cheap ones turn out to be not as good of a deal.

Angela said...

p.s. my little letter thing that I had to spell to leave a comment said "angre" the first time and "aggra" this time. Funny how those are almost emotions you're feeling in this post.

Mrs. Darling said...

Soory about this but what Im really here for is to tell you to link your christmas tree pic entry over on my Mr Linky and let everyone see it. Come on. Dont be a party pooper!

MyKidsMom said...

Angela, you don't know the half of it. I am SO very indecisive about some things. And you know how those little tiny things bother you (like wrong ages for instance;), well you're not the only one. When Mrs.Darling changed the apple heading on her blog, I thanked her because that water spot on one of them was driving me crazy!! She laughed, probably out of pity;)

And yes, you are quite right about the paper towels. It only took me a couple years to figure that out,lol. I always look for name brands at the thrift store as well, so I can get the most for my money.

MyKidsMom said...

Mrs.D I have NO CLUE what you're talking about (which isn't totally uncommon). I will drop by and see.

And I am NOT a party pooper!

Mrs. Darling said...

Your link didnt work right so I reentered it. :)

Mrs. Darling said...

Yes and how could there have been a water spot? They were wooden apples and fake leaves. tut tut.

MyKidsMom said...

IT WAS A SPOT. That's all that matters:)

Yes, and feel free to link me up to whatever... I'm probably going to regret saying that. *tut tut*

Brandi said...

This has nothing to do with your post.

I just noticed that you have the book CREATIVE CORRECTION on your Shelfari shelf. I love that book. We pull it out every once in a while when we need inspiration. Then we forget about it for a while. Then we get desperate again and then just about kick ourselves for not thinking of the book sooner. We once loaned it to Jon sister and missed it terribly. His sister and her husband ended up buying their own copy and giving our back.

Kaye said...

Oh, Honey, I'm right there with you. I've done something similar to this so many times...especially with eBay. I miss winning something by just a very few dollars and then kick myself for being so "solid" on my price. GRRRRR.

Just wanted you to know that I'm feeling your pain.

However, like you said, eBay has everything, so just keep your eyes open and maybe another one will pop up. =)

MyKidsMom said...

BRANDI: I agree, it IS a good book. I think I like it even more because she was a homeschooler as well for a while. I enjoy her sense of humor, and her creative ideas. I found mine for $5 on Ebay. Well worth the money.

kAYE: Yes, Ebay can be challenging in this department. You think you're going to get it, then it goes $5 bucks beyond your set price and you wonder if you were being realistic...lol. Oh well.

I am hoping that someone will get it for Christmas and decide to sell. It is a nostalgia item, and sometimes people tend to hold on to those. Even if I had gotten one cheap, I myself wouldn't have resold for double the money... because I WANT IT;)