Friday, July 31, 2009

Wow... what a week!

Do you ever talk to yourself? Well, I sometimes do. Especially once my husband falls asleep at night and no longer responds to my endless chatter (at least when I'm in a mood like this). Poor fella, he tries to hang in there, but what's a guy to do? He knows I could go on for hours. For some reason my mind is racing, and I just can't slow it down. Sometimes I get this way when I'm overtired. I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it does to me. So just go with it ;)

This post is going to be a review of this week, basically a clearing of my mind. If that sounds boring, feel free to click out at any time...lol.

To start things out, we hit a few records with our weather this week, reaching as high as 107 degrees. Now depending on where you live, that might not be that hot. But we Oregonians are just not used to that kind of heat. So air conditioners and swimming pools have been the coveted items. I was actually trying to figure out just why I had enjoyed this week so much. Then a friend hit the nail on the head when she said that the heat had reduced us to basic cleaning and hanging out with friends... all in the name of staying cool of course!

I am going to take a moment to do some very slight grumbling. The garage sale that I had been preparing for over the last few weeks has been cancelled. Which actually wasn't all bad, as it gives me some time to do some extra clearing out of storage and such. But the downside is that it's been rescheduled for the end of August... 4 weeks from now, and right before school starts. Needless to say, I won't be doing it then (not at least at the parking lot sale) so some regrouping will have to take place. The worst part is that my living room is full of assorted items, including my sister-in-laws and nieces things thrown in as well. The cancellation took place less than 48 hours before the sale was to start, or I wouldn't have taken in the extra stuff. Anyway, do you see why I won't be able to put it off? So if anyone wants to go in on a combined sale, let me know :) Okay, I think that's out of my system for now.

Wednesday my sis-in-law and nephews and nieces came by for a day of swimming and visiting. They live in a (close) neighboring state, but keep such a busy schedule that we don't get to visit nearly as often as we'd like. The time just flew by.

With the brakes suddenly being put on the garage sale plans (no, I am not complaining again) I thought I was in for a nice, relaxing day today. No deadlines, my house was spotless as usual (haha), no Little League practice... hey, was there supposed to be little league today??? Yes, it dawned on me just half an hour before it was time to leave that just maybe there was. I made a few calls, then promptly woke up the kids (yep, it also happened to be the day I decided to really let them sleep in, especially since I was out in the back field walking the family dog and risking my life picking blackberries for jam). Let's just say that even I didn't think I could pull it off. Did I mention I didn't have a car; hubby took it because I didn't think we had practice. But thanks to a very accommodating coach (who picked up my boys) and an equally accommodating friend (who picked up the princess and myself) we did make it. Of course, only 1/3 of the team showed up... guess I wasn't the only one who was a little bit unsure. On the bright side, all the kids there got a little extra attention today. And we ended up spending a relaxing afternoon (need I say of swimming and air-conditioned comfort?) at the aforementioned friend's house. It made the whole scrambled morning worthwhile :)

This evening we made our yearly excursion to pick berries at great-grandma's house. It was somewhat short notice. I thought I was actually going to have to do U-pick blueberries this year.....

I really was going to elaborate on our trip, but I find myself suddenly winding down. So writing this post seems to have served it's purpose. And with that I think I'll find my way to my nice, comfortable bed, and finish the details in another post. Which has to be soon by the way, 'cause the trip to great-grandma's house was simply wonderful.

Good night all.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Whew! I don't think we've made it over 100 here yet, and even we think that's hot. And all we want to do is swim and stay inside in the air conditioning, too.

About your sale, I had a similar thing happen. There is a consignment sale for baby things in the fall that I like to participate in. This year, however, we will be at the beach the entire week. I asked John to reschedule our trip (jokingly), but he wouldn't. I have a couple of boxes of things to get rid of, and this sale is where I buy most of my children's winter things for the year. Anyway, I say all of this to let you know that I feel your pain.

Mrs. Darling said...

Hey it looks like our church isnt the only one that canceled. I looked in the paper for garage sales this morning and there is not one blessed sale advertised for this town!!! Amazing in August. There are usually ten or 12or more! Im bummed. Im still going to go out in the car and see if I can find some!

Kaye said...

I know it's been miserably hot there. I have a friend who lives close to Seattle and he thinks God is trying to punish him for leaving the South and chasing him down with the weather. =)